I’ve been doing a lot of social media work lately—from cleaning up my clients’ social profiles to creating social copy to collaborating on long-term social strategies. Next week, I have a lunch set up with a prospective client to discuss social objectives and game plans.
I absolutely love working on social media projects, and I love to see the progress my clients are making on the social front. But for every company that’s getting social media right, I can’t help but wonder how many more are out there doing it wrong (or worse, doing nothing at all).
Here are 15 statistics that every company needs to know in order to understand the importance of social media for overall content marketing success:
- As of July 2015, the total world population was 7.3 billion; meanwhile, there are about 2.3 billion active social media users worldwide. In other words, almost one-third of the entire world is using social media.
- In 2016, B2C marketers are allocating 32 percent of their total marketing budget to content marketing—an increase from 25 percent last year.
- B2C marketers say they get better results with Facebook, which is the social media platform they use most often. This year, 66 percent rated it effective—compared to 58 percent in 2015.
- Social media is the most used content marketing tactic among both B2B and B2C marketers—used by 90 percent of B2C marketers and 93 percent of B2B marketers.
- Despite 90 percent of B2C marketers using social media, only 66 percent say that their social media content is effective—meaning there is plenty of room for improvement.
- The most used social media platform among B2B marketers is LinkedIn—used by 94 percent. Second is Twitter, and third is Facebook.
- At the same time, only 66 percent of B2B marketers say that their LinkedIn strategy is actually effective.
- The least-used social platforms among B2B marketers include Vimeo, Tumblr, Vine, Periscope and SnapChat.
- Facebook is the most used social platform among B2C marketers—used by 94 percent. Second is Twitter, and third is YouTube.
- Less than 30 percent of B2C marketers say they are using Vimeo, Tumblr, SlideShare, Vine, SnapChat and Periscope. This means these newer platforms could be poised for strong adoption in the coming years, or will become irrelevant.
- The average B2C company is using SEVEN social media platforms; the average B2B company uses six.
- 51 percent of B2B companies use paid social advertising—like LinkedIn and Facebook ads—to promote/distribute their content.
- 76 percent of B2C companies pay to have their tweets promoted, and 74 percent pay for social advertising to promote/distribute their content—a significant increase from 60 percent last year.
- Nearly half of B2B marketers say they’re unsure whether any of their social channels generate revenue for their business (scary, huh?)
- 84% of CEOs and VPs say they use social media to help make purchasing decisions.
Hopefully these statistics can help you assess and strengthen your social strategy as needed. If you need help or have any questions, feel free to reach out to me. I’d be honored to help guide your brand toward social success!