A Quick Reminder of the Power and Influence of Pictures
Today is my dad’s birthday (shout out to my pops—happy 58th!) To celebrate, I posted the below picture on Facebook; it’s a candid from my wedding on May 7th. I love this picture because it is raw and so full of joy. I thought it would be perfect to share on this special day.
I posted the image—and everyone LOVED it. I had dozens of comments, likes and shares within just an hour of posting. I had no idea how much the picture resonated with others; family, friends, people I barely spoke to anymore…even people I didn’t know.
- “What a fabulous picture!”
- “What a beautiful photo of you two!”
- “The absolute best photo of the two of you I’ve EVER seen! It captures so much love and happiness!”
- “Such a great photo!!”
People called me to tell me how much they loved the picture. Others texted me asking me where I got the picture from. My mom even ordered a 5×7 of the image online (shout out to my momma!) My sister wrote on my Facebook wall to tell me how much she loved it (shout out to my sis!):
“That photo of you and Dad is amazing!!!! One of my top favorites from the whole night – please frame that it’s gorgeous and so genuine!!!!”
Wow. I was not prepared for such an overwhelmingly positive response to a single image. The responses told me that this picture was full of:
Basically all of the emotions I was feeling when I posted the snapshot. I didn’t intend on it, but this moment became a simple reminder that every piece of content you produce needs imagery. Yes, needs it. Research proves it:
- Colored visuals increase people’s willingness to read a piece of content by 80 percent.
- When people hear information, they’re likely to remember only 10 percent of that information three days later. If a relevant image is paired with that same information, however, people are likely to remember 65 percent of the information three days later.
- 46 percent of marketers say photography is critical to their current marketing and storytelling strategies.
- Content with relevant images gets 94% more views than content without relevant images.
Most important is selecting the perfect image for the piece of content you share, which will make all of the difference. I could have picked some random “Happy birthday” logo or a generic picture of balloons. Safe to say, my choice of picture made all the difference in getting my message across and spreading such joy, happiness and love. I couldn’t be happier.